Before I jump into writing Bet in the Dark this morning, I wanted to take a break from the whole writing career for a bit.
If I start to talk about my books too much I find myself seriously obnoxious. And then I start rolling my eyes at myself... And then I spiral into multiple personality disorders and start arguing with myself! Like that commercial, with the girl fencing herself?? That's me.
Whenever I need a break from my own writing, or from the same genre I seem to always read, I pick up a Sophie Kinsella book. She's one of my favorite writers of all time. And even though I kind of think the movie of Confessions of a Shopaholic is a little bit cheesy, her books are simply perfection.
They are both hilarious and heartbreaking and they have those perfect happily ever afters. I love them so much.
Plus the voice in my head reads them in an English accent, so it doesn't get any better than that!
The last book I read of hers was Can You Keep A Secret?
I loved it.
But even more I adored the idea of it!
I am not a very secretive person. Not at all. I have this hang up with honesty. Like annoyingly so. Which, I'm not saying that if you have secrets you are not an honest person. Secrets serve a purpose, I get that. But I have trouble following through with that logic. Everything just kind of falls out of my mouth before I can have a chance to catch it. There's that saying "think before you speak." Which would be wonderful, if I actually got a chance to THINK before I spoke. Usually my brain is sprinting to catch up with my mouth after I've just admitted the most ridiculous thing or said something so offensive, or blurted out my exact feelings about whatever it is we're talking about when a little tact could have gone a long way.
And I definitely have very little secrets myself. I open up to strangers with the most bizarre confessions. And don't even get me started on group settings. I can't count the number of times Lindsay has tried to talk me down from Too Much Information while we were in the middle of dance moms who don't know anything about me.
I can't stop myself. It's like a disease!!!
Still, I have secrets. Not that I keep them intentionally, but they are there none the less.
So, in an effort to stay consistent, I'm going to share some of my secrets with you. I feel like this will be therapeutic. In reality you'll probably realize what a crazy person I really am....
But here it goes anyway.
1. I am a hypochondriac. Like a serious one. And the thing is, I always tease people I think are inclined to hypochondria.... but in the end I'm right there with them!! You have to understand though that I'm also a hippie, so I have this holistic approach to medicine which includes me never going to the doctor for anything. Well, you say stubborn, I say holistic, it's the same thing, right? Anyway, I seriously live with this fear that I have cancer. It's not completely unfounded since my dad, my uncle and a dear cousin died of cancer, my brother had it when he was 19 and my other two uncles survived but suffered none the less. I'm just biding my time. I am positive it's there. Or if not cancer then definitely a brain tumor. I am SO forgetful. Like so frustratingly forgetful. I can't remember anything! That has to be a brain tumor, right? I drank diet coke for years and years... it's the aspartame I know it is. And the worst part is, I can't even imagine small sicknesses like strep throat or chicken pox, I have to go all end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it and dream up going blind, or getting malaria again. It's so out of control.
2. On Valentine's Day, I took Stryker to the store to pick out flowers for my mom and he knocked over a ceramic planter and it broke. But it was in the back of the shelf and I am really positive it already had a crack on it because he barely touched it and it shattered! But I just stacked the pieces, put it back where it went and pretended it didn't happen. Although I am fairly certain there were two different dads that watched it happen.
They didn't say anything.
3. I peel off my mascara when I bored. Which is fine if I'm sitting there staring into space. In the middle of conversations is an entirely different thing though.....
4. Speaking of mascara.... I stole some the other day! Not on purpose, I swear! But sometimes if I have all the kids and go to a grocery store without carts to accommodate all of them, I have to stick the baby all the way in the shopping cart. And the mascara somehow got shoved down underneath the baby in his seat and I didn't notice till I got home. I for sure should have taken it back and paid for it. Especially since I feel SO guilty right now. But I didn't. And then I forgot about it. And now... here we are. I'm a thief.
5. Totally is my tell. It usually means the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Like, "I totally want to go watch that horror movie with you!!" That really means, "I hate scary movies, that is the last thing on earth I want to do and don't call me, I'll call you, but seriously don't hold your breath until I do because I probably won't." So now you know. Never trust me if I'm saying Totally.
6. For my birthday, I got my nose double pierced. And I lied.... I said I wasn't nursing. But I am!!! I just didn't want to wait all the way till August.
7. I don't really like to fly. I mean, I'm not scared of it or anything, like I trust the airplane not to crash into the middle of the Atlantic, but I prefer to drive. And I always tell people I love to fly. But I really think I just love to go to new places. The recycled air on planes really, really grosses me out. And now with security, paying for every single bag and no more complimentary meals, I would so rather drive! Flying seems like way too much of a hassle. When we went to Louisiana for that book signing last November, the other ladies could not believe we drove! They thought I was so crazy. But I wrote almost all of The Reluctant King in the car, and was so inspired by the landscape and all the different places we went, plus I had so much fun with my husband that honestly the thought of flying sounded so second rate. So next time I tell you I love to fly, just look at me and say, "No you don't."
8. In a conversation a few weeks ago I explained Money Laundering to a group of our friends as the physical act of washing money in a washing machine. And I was serious!!! I really thought that's what money laundering was!!!!! I tried to play it off like a joke and like I knew that it was also criminal activity.... but I didn't. I think I saw it in a Leslie Nielsen movie once, where they were washing money in huge washing machines and it was like this light bulb moment- Oh that's what that means! And it stuck with me well into adulthood!!! *face palm*
9. Sushi really really grosses me out. I like it, like I like it a lot. And I always tell me I love it. But it really, really grosses me out. Sometimes I have to close my eyes to eat it. And I can't be thinking about it at the same time I'm eating it.... I have to be talking or singing a song in my head or doing anything to distract myself from the texture of it.
10. For Bible Study, sometimes we learn verses and say them out loud to each other. And I always memorize them in the car on the way there in the morning!! It never fails. Every week i promise I'll spend time learning it for real, and I won't have to do the last minute memorization while I'm trying to drive.... but I never follow through. In my defense, it's a habit from when I went to Christian school.... I can't seem to break it!!!
11. I give my kids baths on the day they have to go to the doctor. I'm terrified he's going to think I'm an incompetent mother, so I scrub them so clean before we go.
12. I've also never told our doctor they drink Almond Milk and not cows milk. I only like to reveal so much of my hippiness at a time....
13. I gave up soda for Lent but I've cheated. Maybe only a handful of times, but I definitely cheated. And two days in I amended my choice by restating that I gave up DARK pop. 7up and Ginger Ale were still fair game.
14. Sometimes I get worried about how little is in my head. Ok, most of the time there is way too much in there. But then somebody will ask my opinion about something and I won't have one. Not one single thought about it! And that worries me... I think, well I should be able to decide if I like it or not. It's not that hard of a question!! Or I SHOULD be able to figure out where I want to go for dinner! I have cravings, I like certain restaurants better than others, I should be able to figure this out. But I can't! And so I'll make something up just so that I don't appear as airheaded and ditzy as I actually am. But seriously folks, sometimes my head is absolutely empty.
And finally 15. In the same way.... my three favorite movies are Empire Records, Mean Girls and Clueless. Sometimes just to sound smart I'll tell people my favorites are movies like Blood Diamond, or Tears of the Sun or something. And I DO like those movies. But those other three are by far my most favorite movies. And they are all super shallow.... So what does that say about me!!
So there's that! You might think I'm a terrible person now, but man I feel cleansed! :)
And because I want you to have the same feeling of freedom.... I'm doing another give away!!!! Comment below with a FUN secret of your own and I'll pick a winner on Friday at noon!!! You can have your choice of either a signed copy of Endless Magic or one of the Team Kiran t-shirts!!!!
And don't forget to get your reviews up on Amazon so I can post another chapter from Ryder's POV!!!!!
Happy Monday everybody!!
Can You Keep A Secret?
Who is Rachel?!?
Rachel Higginson is the author of The Five Stages of Falling in Love, Every Wrong Reason, The Star-Crossed Series, Love & Decay Novella Series and much more! She was born and raised in Nebraska, and spent her college years traveling the world. She fell in love with Eastern Europe, Paris, Indian Food and the beautiful beaches of Sri Lanka, but came back home to marry her high school sweetheart. Now she spends her days writing stories and raising four amazing kids.
I'm quiet about politics on social media. I don't share my opinion often. Or ever. I have an issue with blurting out the headlines...
So you've probably heard or seen- since I've posted a thousand pictures of him- that Saxon Zachary is finally here!!! If you get...
Hello new normal! I teach a Bible study on Thursday mornings. I love the group of women I'm blessed to spend time with around a table ...
I'm no stranger to grief. My parents never left my brothers or me home when they attended funerals. We were always dragged along and t...
It's been a little while since I made it over to the blog! Life has been more than crazy around here. Chasing after four kids during...
Before I jump into writing Bet in the Dark this morning, I wanted to take a break from the whole writing career for a bit. If I start to t...
I realize as I prepare to write this blog that I might come off as a little hypocritical. So I just want to assure you that this post is as ...
My eleven year wedding anniversary is this Friday. It's hard to believe! Honestly, when I think back to our wedding day and how young ...
Today is a long awaited day in my life. I have anticipated this day for months and years and... Just kidding. It hasn't been th...
A couples weeks ago, I posted a short little video called I Am. (You can watch it here if you haven't seen it: https://www.facebook.co...
Copyright @ Rachel Higginson 2015. Powered by Blogger.